Mar 31, 2017
- 2 tblsp. canola oil (my grandmother used melted chicken fat and if you really want to be authentic you can do the same)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup matzo meal
- ½ tsp. baking powder (also not an authentic ingredient, but it helps to assure that your matzo balls will float instead of sink. Some people will not use this on Passover)
- 1 tsp. Herbamare or salt
- 2 tblsp. soup stock or water
- A sprinkle of ground pepper, granulated garlic, dill weed
- Beat oil and eggs well. Add matzo meal, baking powder, salt and other seasonings, and stock or water. Beat well. Cover bowl and refrigerate one hour. Shape into walnut-sized balls. Cook in boiling salted water 20 – 30 minutes (longer if balls are larger).
For feather – light matzo balls do not to handle them too much and be sure there is plenty of room in your pot for them to expand.